100 Triathlons
Go to the early blogs to read how I got into triathlons. Click on any picture to enlarge it. "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly." Theodore Roosevelt 1910


Sunday, June 25, 2023

# 196 Jax Triathlon at Camp Blanding

Arose at 2:00 AM Saturday morning to drive 139 miles to Starke, Florida, and do my 196th triathlon at Camp Blanding Florida National Guard Training Base. Several previous competitors were racing and I'd never been here before. This race is usually in downtown Jacksonville but road construction forced the move.

The wind rose with the sun and by my 8:07 AM start in Wave 3, had hit 15 mph. Had a good swim but the bike course's rolling hills were a surprise. Headwinds, tailwinds, up and down hills produced some amazingly fast and slow speeds. I was doing 26 mph one minute and 10 mph the next. The 12 mile course was entirely on the military base. At one point we passed a huge paratrooper training area filled with multiple obstacles. Transitioning to the run brought more surprises as this course also had hills. I felt strong though and ran the 5k in 29:12 for 9:42 mile splits. My overall time was 1:29:47 for a Third place out of seven in 70-74.

Nice BBQ Chicken sandwich at the feed table and two Pavehawk helicopters overflew the transition area at the end. I did get my revenge on Michael Chance's beating me at Crystal River by 8 seconds; I was over 24 minutes ahead of him today.

Visited the Post Museum and Military Vehicle Park afterwards and really enjoyed it. Great day!

Transition sunrise

Moulton SST up front


Heading to T1



70-74 Podium



C-47 Dakota (DC-3)

M4 Sherman tank

DUKW aka "Duck"

Road to Germany marker


M-1 Garand rifles


Willy Jeep with .30 machine gun


M-60 Patton tank

CH-47 Chinook



No comments:

Post a Comment