100 Triathlons
Go to the early blogs to read how I got into triathlons. Click on any picture to enlarge it. "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly." Theodore Roosevelt 1910


Sunday, August 9, 2026

# 219 Clermont Sprint Triathlon in August

I competed in the third race of the Sommer Sports Triathlon Series today, my 219th event. Checking registration on Thursday evening, I saw that five men had signed up in the Male 70-74 Age Group, myself included (the race sold out again). I was feeling a bit under the weather Friday, so decided to just relax and enjoy the race. Arriving at the Waterfront Park at 4:40 AM for a good parking spot, I got my bike into transition and set up my gear. Ran into Dawn Lane in transition; she was doing the Double Tri. I then relaxed, did a lot of stretching, and fueled for the 7:13 start of the Men 45+ wave. Hitting the water, I had a steady swim in the surprisingly cool water, due to a lot of recent rain. Getting onto the bike for the second leg, I accelerated up the first hills and hit 29.3 mph on the downhill. I enjoyed my ride as we circled Lake Minneola and climbed the last hills going into town. I felt a bit fatigued at the run start but pushed through it and with the help of a Hammer Gel, I got stronger. I was looking for my competitors by race number and saw first place, Doc Brown, heading back just after the turn around. I started counting immediately and at 30 seconds, spotted the third-place guy which meant I was one minute ahead of him. I soldiered on, occasionally glancing back but maintained my second place all the way to the finish. I was very pleased with my performance for the day and am looking forward to the final in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment