100 Triathlons
Go to the early blogs to read how I got into triathlons. Click on any picture to enlarge it. "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly." Theodore Roosevelt 1910


Sunday, November 6, 2022

# 186 Riverfront International Triathlon in Cocoa

Sorry if my race report is a bit long but let me start off by complimenting Chef Sandy Finucan on the fabulous ham-mushroom-bacon deep-dish quiche she prepared Saturday afternoon before the race. This delightful dish gave me to the power to finish strong.

I awoke Sunday morning at 2:30 AM (fall time-change) for the drive to Cocoa, Florida, for the Riverfront International Distance Tri on the Indian River. My 186th triathlon and probably my last tri of the season and the 65-69 Age Group. Arriving plenty early as you never know what can delay you (and I-4 was closed for an accident, and I detoured) I got the bike staged and prepared for my longest race in 2022.

The .5-mile swim start was staggered with 2 swimmers jumping off the pier at 4 second intervals. Immediately I felt the much-discussed thimble jellyfish sliding over my body. They don’t sting but felt like Jell-O blobs passing over you. I had a strong swim, almost 2 minutes faster than 2021 at 18:36, for first.

Heading out on the 20-mile hilly bike course (shortened 4 miles due to construction), I watched the scattered showers approaching off the Atlantic Ocean. Sure enough, rain started about mile 4 for 5-10 minutes. Nearing the turnaround for the first loop, it began again and then again around mile 16. The sun shone brightly between the showers and there was a 10-mph headwind on both return loops. I passed #42, who beat me out of transition at mile 3 but he passed me at mile 12 as I slowed to refill my aero bottle. I retook first place at mile 14 and rolled into T2 about 68 seconds ahead.

Starting the 6.2-mile run in 84’f sun, I felt very strong and was 84 seconds ahead of #42 at the first turnaround. I lost him at the second turnaround as he removed his bright yellow top and moved his number to the side. At the last turnaround, my lead had shrunk to 48 seconds, so I stepped up my pace. Suddenly, at mile 5, my right hamstring cramped badly, stopping me instantly. I stretched it out repeatedly and tried running, but it cramped again. Stretching again in the middle of the street, I saw #42 pass me and I thought that my win had gone. He was about 100 yards ahead when I realized I could run again and began the chase. I ran slowly, gradually building speed as I saw I was closing. With about ¼ mile to go, I realized he had slowed, and I surged past him. I didn’t want to look back to see if he was chasing until the last turn and I saw him about 2 blocks behind. I pushed hard to the finish and won in 2:33:56, 42 seconds ahead of #42. Very happy with this win, as it was tough.
Dawn over Cocoa

Swim Course


Moulton SST racked!

Happy finisher!

with Matt & Karen Mahoney


Super delicious quiche



No comments:

Post a Comment