100 Triathlons
Go to the early blogs to read how I got into triathlons. Click on any picture to enlarge it. "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly." Theodore Roosevelt 1910


Saturday, June 18, 2016

# 139 Moss Park Olympic Distance Triathlon

I headed out to Moss Park this morning to do my first Olympic distance tri in over a year.  I was quite excited and having raced this course many times over the years, I was anxious to compare those races to my current level of fitness.  Set up was quick and I ran into several friends like Bill Floyd and (unfortunately) Will Hathaway.  The swim went off as the sun rose over Lake Mary Jane and after two laps I exited the water at 31:13.  The long run to transition adds a bit of time but I headed out on the Moulton for the flat and fast 22.6 mile course.  The two laps took me 1:11:10 for an average speed of 19.2 mph.  Heading out on the run brought out a bit of heat as it was now 88'f.  The run twists through the park and the campgrounds so you do get a bit of shade but as I flirted with 8 minute miles, I managed to finish at 47:11 for a total time of 2:34:52.  This time and the splits were in the middle of my performances there so I was pleased.  I finished in second behind Will Hathaway as his swim and bike splits were faster than mine.  I was 5 minutes fast than him on the run but couldn't beat his lead. My friend and running legend Heather Schulz won the Women's Duathlon overall; there is no stopping her.

You can see the lake through the trees.

Heather always has a smile.

Small field.

Good for second place!

No comments:

Post a Comment