100 Triathlons
Go to the early blogs to read how I got into triathlons. Click on any picture to enlarge it. "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly." Theodore Roosevelt 1910


Sunday, June 4, 2017

# 148 Clermont Sprint Triathlon in June

Kerry Librada Girona: First Female Overall
I always look forward to the Sprint Series in Clermont.  Four triathlons, same course, each 4 weeks apart, with plenty of parking, a lake swim, hilly bike, and flat run.  This race was the culmination of the Couch to Tri program of Seminole County Triathletes so we had 15 people doing their first tri. Upon my arrival, I met James Mayer, a longtime competitor, and after seeing Ken Junkins, we learned that Ken's knee issue was prompting his stopping running so he was doing the Aqua-bike today.
I actually got into the water for the warmup and surged at the race start.  A bit of congestion slowed me on the swim but the last leg was quick.  After taking off on the bike, I really started to pass people and had a great climb up the big hills, hitting 39.1 mph off the big one.  After several more miles on the Moulton, I shot into transition and came out running.  My running has been very strong lately and my splits were 8:20 for each mile; I passed two 60-64 competitors on the run.  I finished 7 out of 12 with a 1:14:22, a great time with the slightly longer bike course.  Being cheered by the SCT crew in the tents at the finish line always feels good!  We then began cheering all the other SCT newbies as they came in.  My friends did well: Enrique Mercado finished second in his age group, Ken Junkins won the AquaBike, and Kerry Librada Girona won Female Overall.  Great time!

James and Ken talking before the race
Swim start
Coming out
Heading to transition


Bike ride done
At the finish!
Faithful steed
Cheering people in

Enrique and Kerry

Seminole County Triathletes
Talking with Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment