100 Triathlons
Go to the early blogs to read how I got into triathlons. Click on any picture to enlarge it. "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly." Theodore Roosevelt 1910


Sunday, February 24, 2019

Real Florida 5k10k in Wekiwa

Saturday was a trail race in my favorite training ground, Wekiwa Springs State Park.  Being on the Board of Wekiva Wilderness Trust, I help gather the sponsors for this race. This was the 32nd running and we had our biggest field yet.  I went to Panera at 6:30 AM to get the bagel donation and returned by 7:00.  People were already gathering for the 8:30 start; 10k goes first (me) and then the 5k four minutes later.

At the gun, I surged right away because passing is difficult so after 1/2 mile, I was passed by about 10 people.  A few more passed me as we got to the Tramway section and then I began passing a few back.  It was about 85' and sunny so people began wilting after the 5k split.  I maintained my 9:30 pace, occasionally dropping to 9:05.  The hilly sections began to slow me a bit but I felt myself picking up the pace at 4 miles.  I began passing 5k walkers with a mile to go, especially in the uphill sections.  I crossed the line with a time of 1:00:39, good for first in my age group and 26th out of 73 overall.

Brian Sharon blistered the 10k with a 40:30 time and Tim Hay won 60-64 with Jim Payne right behind him.  Gary Cohen won his age group in the 5K.  Jeff Cuddeback came to cheer on Tim and everyone had a great time.
Gary, Jeff, Jim & Tim

Gary, Deborah, Jeff, and Jim

Finish Line

Awards



Jim Payne from WESH2 and Tim Hay

Myself with Jim Payne

Jeff taking it easy



No comments:

Post a Comment